A photo book is a great way to preserve and share memories of events, document a trip, create a collection of beautiful images or show off your portfolio. This episode is full of tips and ideas to design your own photo book.
*Please scroll to the bottom of the post for more images from our guest.*
Tips for Designing a Photo Book with Peggy Farren
Start with a Plan
Purpose of the Book
-Tell a story
-Document a trip or event
-Showcase a collection of images for a coffee table book
-Gift for friends or family
-Memory book for yourself
-Sell to a larger audience
Knowing these helps to determine size, format, and paper choice – which will also help to determine the cost.
Tips for Arranging Your Images
- Overall arrangement can be chronological, theme-based, or location based.
- Print thumbnails of the images to organize and arrange manually.
- Less is more! Choose your BEST images to represent the “story”
- Get a second opinion before you print!
- Remember rules of composition when arranging multiple images on a page.
- Always leave room in front of a face.
- Give images room to breathe – avoid crowding too many images on one page.
- Give the viewer variety – mix close-ups with more distant views to help tell a story.
- Pay attention to color combinations within pages and make it pleasant to look at.
- Use no more than 2 font styles or colors that are easy to read.
- Unless you are telling a story, keep text to a minimum. Remember, less is more!
- Title of Image
- Inspirational quote
- Any text that helps put the photo in context or helps to tell the story without being overly wordy or using lingo.
- Cover – an impactful image letting you know what the book is about.
- Lead image – the picture on the first page– needs to grab the viewer’s attention and lead their eye to the right and further into the book.
- Final image – an impactful summary or end of the book.
Mentioned on the Show
Listen to the Understand Photography Show on iTunes: https://tinyurl.com/y66g545vTo leave us a review (we’d REALLY appreciate it!), click on LISTEN ON APPLE PODCASTS, then OPEN IN iTUNES.
What you need to learn for a solid photography education. Watch our free video:
Everglades 4 Day Adventure
Jan 16-19, 2020
Everglades 4 Day Adventure
Jan 30-Feb 2, 2020
Florida’s Forgotten Coast
March 25-29, 2020
Understand Photography is a member of the Amazon Associates Program.
I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, and/or link to any products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support my work in bringing you information about photography
Gear Recommendation of the Week
The Lume Cube 2.0 is the smallest, most feature-packed, professional quality LED for photo & video on the market. Emitting a daylight balanced 95+ CRI light, the new 80º beam angle lens provides a clean spread with zero hotspots that can run for over 1-hour at 100% brightness! The enhanced manual & wireless controls allow the user to quickly increase or decrease brightness levels and even unlock a secret LOW LIGHT MODE for 1% adjustments for Long Exposure imagery.