Thanks for tuning into episode #59 of The Understand Photography Show!
Watch the video replay here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glVQ0Nz9sOs
The show is now available as a podcast on iTunes!! Please do us a HUGE favor and leave us a rating and review! We are trying to reach more photography enthusiasts on iTunes. Your help makes a huge difference!
To hear this episode as a podcast on Soundcloud, click here:
Understand Photography General Notes
Join our our Meetup website.
Episode 59: The New Lightroom with Joe Fitzpatrick
What is Lightroom?
– a digital asset manager for still images or videos
– storage with easy retrieval
– print, publish
– 3rd party plug-ins available for additional features
– compatible with Photoshop and other Adobe programs
Lightroom 6 (CC) is no longer available as a stand-alone version (CD in a box) and has been renamed “Lightroom Classic”
New Lightroom (Lightroom CC) is now a cloud-based program
New in “Classic”
– localized adjustment tool
– allows you to create masks using either COLOR or LUMINANCE
– significantly faster
New program (version 1.0) – “Lightroom CC”
– Cloud-based application
– Program is downloaded to your computer (and as an app on your phone or tablet)
– Files are no longer stored on your local drive and can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection
– Option to store some or all of your files on your hard drive for access WITHOUT an internet connection
– very powerful program
– built on a 10 year foundation
– So MANY options!
– not particularly intuitive – big learning curve (All Apps Plan $49.99/month
– if Adobe makes the program, you get it here
If you no longer want the subscription, your files remain in the cloud for up to one year. However, you lose the ability to edit them.
Alternative Programs to Lightroom
– Nothing else out there has all of the features or capabilities of Lightroom Classic
– Photoshop Elements (Photoshop Light)
– Capture One Pro
– ACDSee Pro
– Aftershock Pro
– PhotoMechanic (organizer only, very fast)
See you next week for episode 60!