Lightroom Classic – Crop Tool Secrets
Speed up your Lightroom editing workflow with these simple tips on the crop tool. Joe Fitzpatrick really simplifies Lightroom!
- Tapping the R key takes you to the crop tool from either the Develop or the Library Module.
- The Padlock icon locks to the current aspect ratio when closed and allows for an unrestricted crop when open.
- Holding down the ALT key on a PC or OPT key on a Mac keeps the image centered while cropping.
- Tapping the letter O key cycles through the available crop overlays
- Holding down the SHIFT key while tapping the O key flips non-symmetrical overlays.
- Overlays to be displayed can be selected by clicking on TOOLS in the top toolbar, selecting Crop Guide Overlay, then selecting Chose Overlays to Cycle.
- Tapping the L key makes the area surrounding the crop semi-opaque. Pressing the L key a second time fully conceals the area surrounding the crop. The crop tool remains active. Pressing the L Key a third time returns you to normal view.
If you are enjoying our Tuesday Photo Tips, please subscribe to our Youtube channel:
Comments are encouraged and suggestions for new topics are welcome!
Joe Fitzpatrick is one of that rare breed of photographers who possesses both a vast array of technical knowledge and the ability to communicate it in clear, simple terms. Joe is the type of person who needs to know how everything works. If he doesn’t know, he’ll figure it out! And then he’ll simplify it so that the rest of us can understand!
Joe focuses primarily on nature photography; landscapes and birds. He is the Lightroom expert in our area.
Joe is also an amazing street photographer.