Gary Roche is a nature photographer who has had incredible success in the photography industry within only two years. In this episode, Gary Roche tells us about how he was able to be featured in local notable magazines. He gives advice on how to approach magazine editors and how to get noticed by them. He also talks about how Instagram and Facebook are equally beneficial platforms in terms of building up your audience.
*Please scroll to the bottom of the post for more images from our guest.*
Get your Photography Published in Magazines
with Gary Roche
“The lens changed my life. I had put it on the back burner for 20 years and finally decided to just go for it. It gave me all the pictures I had always wanted to get.”
- Published in a high-end magazine (Gulf Shore Life) after just 6 months shooting with his new lens. He has since been published 6 more times.
- Spends at least 300 days/year shooting both before and after work.
- Taught himself to shoot in manual by watching YouTube videos and learning from his mistakes.
“Look at your feedback from your picture. What were your settings? What should you change for next time?”
- Sitting in the water allowed him to get closer and observe more behavior than if he had been standing with a tripod on the beach.
- Look in the magazine in which you’d like to be published and find the editor.
- Email them. Ask them to direct you to the right person.
- Introduce yourself and send a link to your work.
– Use Google Folders. They can be shared and updated easily.
– Add a few sentences about each image. They are more likely to choose an image with accompanying type; it makes their job easier.
– Keep in touch. Send another email every time you update your folder.
- Editors change frequently. When a new person takes over, send another email.
“Don’t be afraid of the consequences. If it’s good, it’s good.
If it’s not so good, just keep shooting.”
- It may take several months for a response, don’t get discouraged.
- Post daily to Instagram with the option to automatically copy the post the Facebook.
- Look at your feedback and try to post at a time when you get the most hits.
“You have to try to get past your own psychological barriers and get yourself out there. People need to know you.”
What you need to learn for a solid photography education. Watch our free video:
Gear Recommendation of the Week
Looking to capture the magic of everyday, fleeting moments, in a way that’s different and unique? Spark will ignite your imagination.
Spark photos will have a snappy “sweet spot” or round spot of focus, surrounded by melt-in-your-mouth, beautiful blur.
Available in mounts for Canon EF (EOS) and Nikon F.
Florida’s Best Photo Spots!
Understand Photography is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.