In woodland photography it’s tough to not only find a subject, but to make that subject stand out and make an impact. In episode 190 of the Understand Photography Show, Zach Nichols shares some very specific tips on creative compositions within the forest.
Forest Photography tips – Finding Impactful Compositions
In woodland photography, it’s tough to not only find a subject but to make that subject stand out and make an impact.
Zach Nichols shares some very specific tips on creative compositions within the forest. Scroll to the bottom to see some of Zach’s photographs.
How do you make your subject stand out when there is so much busyness in a wooded area? Zach Nichols is a professional photographer based in Spokane, Washington who will give us great tips on how to create high-impact photographs in the woods.
- Start with the grand scheme – a wide shot – and work your way to the small details
- Look for shapes
- Change your angle. Shoot high, low
- Framing – find frames or create the by shooting through things and blurring them
- Vary horizontal and vertical shots
- Try a shallow depth of field to bring attention to your subject
- Expose to the right to get the most detail in the image (for more on this watch Episode 139 with Satesh Ramjattan).
- In editing; warm colors attract the eye. Change the color slightly to make the subject warmer and the background cooler.
- In editing; Use the clarity tool to sharpen the subject and soften the background.
- In editing; Use a vignette to bring your attention to the middle of the photograph.
- In editing; bring out the shadows to bring more detail in the photo.
- Drone tip: Use Google Earth to scout before you go. Stay legal!
Zach Nichols is a professional wedding and landscape photographer based in Spokane, Washington.
Gear we talked about.
We are an affiliate for Amazon and will receive a small commission if you purchase via our links:
Mono gimbal head by Wimberly https://amzn.to/2S1kSJ2
Patagonia Breathable Raincoat https://amzn.to/3bBHPKJ
Manfrotto Monopod with Auto Locking Leg https://amzn.to/3cp2GRm
DJI Maverick 2
Would you consider donating to help us continue producing quality content?
If you’re enjoying The Understand Photography Show and would like to help us continue to bring you interesting and educational content, please consider making a donation.
Understand Photography is a member of the Amazon Associates Program.
I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, and/or link to any products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support my work in bringing you information about photography