Why do you need a photography mentor? Find out why a mentor is important for your growth as an artist as well as for your business. Peggy Farren tells us how and
where to find someone who could give you the advice you need to succeed.
*Please scroll to the bottom of the post for more images from our guest.*
Finding a Mentor for Your Photography Business
with Peggy Farren
- Offer advice or an ear for frustrations.
- Give a different perspective.
- Give a push when needed.
- Can be formal, but most are informal relationships.
Finding a Good Mentor
- Find someone you admire with experience who is successful at their craft.
- Be where they are.
– Join clubs and associations.
– Don’t forget about Facebook Groups – there’s a group for everything, and it’s free!
– Network through event photography.
– Enter camera club competitions at local, state, and national levels.
– Join a Meetup group.
– Go to conferences.
- Check out SCORE for free mentorship advice – be picky and find someone that’s a good fit for your business.
- Do some research on local people that could be of help. Find out their interests to show you care about them and then email, message through social media, or even cold call to make contact.
– Be sure to compliment their work. Be genuine – superficial compliments are easy to spot.
- Create a list of goals. Make a list of possible people that could help you reach those goals. Learn about them and find out where to meet them.
- Go slow and build a relationship without being ‘stalky’ or coming on too strong.
- Remember, it’s all about THEM. They’re giving up valuable time for you, be sure they get something of value in return.
- Show your appreciation. Volunteer your time to help them in some way.
- Listen more than you talk. Pay attention. Communication is key to forming a relationship.
Mentioned on the Show
Slack – app for small group interaction and sharing of resources.
– Groups formed by invitation only.
– Gather a few loyal followers from other social media outlets that comment on your work, or that have work that you admire and invite them to join a group!
Listen to the Understand Photography Show on iTunes: https://tinyurl.com/y66g545vTo leave us a review (we’d REALLY appreciate it!), click on LISTEN ON APPLE PODCASTS, then OPEN IN iTUNES.
We Need Your Help!
If you’re enjoying The Understand Photography Show and would like to help us continue to bring you interesting and educational content, please consider making a donation.
What you need to learn for a solid photography education. Watch our free video:
Understand Photography is a member of the Amazon Associates Program.
I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, and/or link to any products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support my work in bringing you information about photography
of the Week
The lens features exceptional build quality and performance as well as straight forward ease of use for photographers of all levels.
With a hybrid, aspherical element and multi-layer lens coating, the AP-8MC will unlock powerful new viewing angles as well as sharply defined images. Enjoy dramatic, exaggerated perspective or the iconic circular image floating in the frame.