As photographers we want to have a unique look to our images.
Brian Call collaborates with an oil painter to create a new style
for his photographs and a renewed passion for his art.
in Fine Art Photography
Episode 111 with Brian Call
- Brian is a nature and landscape photographer with a passion to showcase and protect our wild places.
- Brian shoots his images with Nikon and GoPro and uses Photoshop exclusively for post processing.
“This project was born from the desire to push my photography in a direction other than traditional nature photography. This is not for nature magazines, this is art.”
The Genesis Series
- The art is created by blending Brian’s wildlife photography with the textured oil paintings of Argentinian artist Elena Lasala.
- The paintings are professionally scanned and made into a digital file. (Brian originally photographed the paintings himself, but wanted the added sharpness of a scan.)
- The goal is to blend the photograph with the painting so they look like ONE balanced image instead of two layers.
- The first step is choosing which painting to match with which photograph – first choices are not always the best match.
- Usually he starts with the painting as a background.
- Add the photograph as a layer.
- Try out different blending modes, opacities, intensities and brightness, masking…
- Play with it until it FEELS right.
- The collection currently contains 17 pieces, with more to come.
- The images are printed on either metal or fine art papers.
- They are sold as limited editions through SAATCHI.com .
- There is also a Genesis Series book in the works!
- So many nature photographers produce very similar images. You need to find a way to separate yourself.
- People are looking for something unique. (Another reason for limited editions.)
- Instagram is a great way to reach out and show your work.
-Get the attention of interior designers/decorators.
- Print big. Display your work at art shows.
- Check out Workshops you’re interested in.
- Look at other art media.
- Work with your limitations.
- Be open to push things and work them in different ways.
Website – BrianCallPhotography.com
Instagram – @BrianCallPhotography
What you need to learn for a solid photography education. Watch our free video:
Ladies Only Trips:
Cuba – February 2 – 9, 2019 SOLD OUT!
New Book! Peggy Farren and Joe Fitzpatrick have published a book highlighting Florida’s Best Photo Spots!
Understand Photography is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.