Learn how to add copyright Metadata to photos using Lightroom Classic CC!
In this episode of Understand Photography, Joe Fitzpatrick will explain a Lightroom Classic CC Quick Tip, you will learn how to quickly and easily add a copyright to your photos’ metadata.
Using Lightroom Classic CC, you can add a copyright notice to your photos during import or from the library module.
- Click on the metadata tab, then choose edit metadata presets.
- Scroll down to the IPTC copyright section, fill in your copyright info on the copyright line.
- The typical format is the copyright symbol, the year, and your name.
- On a Mac, you can create the copyright symbol by holding down the option key and typing the letter G.
- On a Windows machine with a numeric keypad, type 0169 while holding down the Alt key. No numeric keypad? No problem. Use the character map found in the Windows accessory folder in the start menus program list.
- On the copyright status line, change the status to copyrighted.
- My images are for sale, and I want interested people to be able to contact me, so I also fil in my name, email, and website in the IPTC creator section.
- When you’re done filling in info, you may want this to close, click the check fill button at the bottom of the window, then click on done.
- On the next screen, choose save as, and give the new preset a name. Then click on create.
To apply your preset when importing photos in the right hand column of the import window:
- Open the apply during import section by clicking on the triangle.
- Click on the metadata box and select your preset. It will be automatically added to your photos’ metadata information during import.
- To actually copyright the photos you have already imported, first, select them in the library module.
- Open the metadata panel by clicking on the triangle on the right of the metadata panel bar.
- Click on the double triangles at the right of the preset bar. Click on the copyright preset that you created.
- In a pop-up window, click on all selected. That’s it. Quick and easy!
Don’t forget to update your copyright notice at the start of each year!
~Joe Fitzpatrick is one of that rare breed of photographers who possesses both a vast array of technical knowledge and the ability to communicate it in clear, simple terms.