This seems to be a tough question for new photographers. I have strong feelings about this. You may or may not agree!
Use your own Name! Peggy Farren Photography or Farren Photography.
Here I build my case:
1. There are so many photography companies out there with similar names! Here are a few words that are overdone: Moment, Time, Timeless, Memories, Sky, Click, Shoot, Snap, Impressions, Impress, Vision, Heart or a color. It's confusing to potential customers and difficult to remember!
2. To protect your company name, you will have to trademark it. Trademarking is expensive and not easy if you have a generic company name. Incorporating or Doing Business As (DBA) will not protect you from others using that same company name. Don't believe me? Search by name for registered businesses in Florida herel; www.sunbiz.org. You'll be surprised how many "Memories" companies there are in Florida alone.
What's in a Name?
3. Your customers will have to remember two names; your name and your company name. It is easier to remember just one!
4. Search Engine Optimization. If someone is searching for you by name, they have a better chance of finding your website. If you have a generic name, you could be on page three behind all the other Blue Sky companies.
The whole point of a company name is to make it easy for people (potential and current clients) to find you and remember you. So make it easy on them! If you want more business, you have to put yourself in the mind of your client.
I am a hypocrite! When I started my photography business 12 years ago, professional photography wasn't nearly as competitive as it is now. I named my company "Avant-Garde Images, Inc." for two reasons:
1. I wanted a generic name so I could sell the company at some point down the road. Little did I know that when photography went digital, the business would change dramatically! It's very difficult to sell a photography business in this time.
2. I wanted to be first in the PHONE BOOK! LOL! That's why I chose a name that began with an "A". Who knew Google would change the way we search for companies?
I pay for Google Adwords so that if someone searches for "Peggy Farren", they will be directed to my website. Here you can learn from my mistakes so you don't have to pay if someone searches for you by name!
Remember the point is to make things as easy for your clients or potential clients as possible. Your name is your brand!
Professional Photographers Adapting to the Times
Florida Weekly: Getting the Picture
Florida Weekly: PHOTOGRAPHED
Florida Weekly: Free photowalk will focus on Instagram
Florida Weekly: Shooters can get skills in shape at photo boot camp
Florida Weekly: Photography Naples comes into focus
Welcome to Florida Weekly’s Best
Here come the brides, there go the gowns
Florida Weekly: Picture-perfect brides ‘Trash the Dress’ for photographers
Trash the Dress
Wedding Photographer Florida: Peggy Farren
Creative Back to School Photos
Live, Local Education in Florida on Super Monday - PPA Today
6 Tips to Help You Take the Perfect Photo or Video
Creating Picture Perfect Posts
Photo Opportunity: How To Start A Successful Photography Business
Post Your Comment Below
One of the most often questions we receive is "What type of camera should I buy?" Of course a lot depends on your budget and what you want to do with the camera. Watch this short video for Peggy's recommendation.Sign Up for Access
Enter your contact information to watch this short video for Peggy's recommendation!
Peggy Farren is an award winning, professional photographer, instructor, writer and speaker.
With over 17 years as a full-time professional photographer, Peggy offers photography training through her training center, “Understand Photography”.
This free report will help you choose the right cameras, lenses and accessories for your travels. You'll need different equipment depending on where you are going, your finances, and the weight of the gear. We'll show you how to determine the best equipment for your needs. Also included is a comprehensive list on what you'll need, some things you may not have heard before but you'll be so glad we let you know!
Many you've never heard before!