These images and many more are yours to capture on Understand Photography’s Bastions, Birds and Buildings Photo Adventure of St. Augustine, FL. Have fun, improve your photographic skills, and return home with memorable images. Experienced workshop leader and mentor Joe Fitzpatrick will guide you to his favorite locations at the time of day when the light is right. At each location Joe will share his techniques, enabling you to overcome exposure, lighting and compositional challenges. With his guidance, you will learn to control the complex features of your camera. Joe’s easy to understand style of instruction will help you to become the photographer you long to be. This trip is limited to five (5) participants so that everyone will receive personal attention.
The cost of the photo exploration includes expert, personal instruction by Joe, accommodations (dbl occupancy), continental breakfasts, admission to all venues including an Alligator Farm Annual Photo Pass, parking fees, and applicable taxes. Lunches, dinners and transportation are not included. Cost of annual photo pass can be deducted from trip cost if you already have one. If you prefer not to share a room, single accommodations are available for a surcharge. Place your deposit now to ensure your spot.
Stuff You Need to Know
Where will we be staying?
Our base of operations will be the Sleep Inn Hotel, 601 Anastasia Blvd., Saint Augustine, FL, 32080, minutes from our shooting locations.
How will we get around?
You will be expected to provide your own transportation for this photo adventure. We usually car pool between shooting locations.
What will we be photographing?
This Photo Adventure encompasses all types of subjects. You will capture sunrises, the historic architecture of St. Augustine, an ancient Spanish Fortress, and an unrivaled array of wild nesting birds in their natural habitat.
What skill level is required?
This photo adventure is geared to photographers of all skill levels. Our proven 5-to-1 photographer/mentor ratio allows every adventurer from beginner to advanced to proceed at their own pace. We strongly suggest that you take our beginning DSLR course if you are not familiar with the basics of exposure: shutter speed, aperture, and ISO.
What will I learn during the Photo Adventure?
At every step of your Photo Adventure Joe will be at your side, sharing his techniques. Our ratio of a maximum of 5 photographers per leader assures that you will receive personal attention and allow you to learn at your own pace. We will cover:
- Which of your camera’s exposure modes is preferred for each shooting condition.
- Which metering mode works best for each subject.
- Using the histogram to improve your exposures.
- How to take advantage of your camera’s various auto focus modes.
- Fill flash techniques
- Advanced techniques tailored to your level of knowledge
What equipment should I bring?
This Photo Adventure encompasses a wide range of subject matter from very large (the sweep of a beach at sunrise) to very small (a butterfly alighting on a flower). Light sources will range from sun to street lamps. We suggest:
- DSLR camera or advanced compact
- Ideally, lenses to provide the equivalent coverage of full frame lenses from 24mm to 300mm
- For “crop” DSLRs, this means lenses in the range of 17mm to 200mm.
- A circular polarizer, if you own one
- Better Beamer flash extender, if you own one
- Remote shutter release. Useful, but your camera’s timer will suffice in a pinch.
- Memory cards — bring them all!
- Batteries — you will need spares!
- Laptop, if you have one
- Chargers for all devices
- Multi-outlet extension cord